Why do soccer players prefer Italy? This is the new ‘paradise’

Sport in Italy is fashionable and, more specifically, a football, that of Calcio, which is reviving after living its lower eras in terms of players. Matthijs De Ligt was the last to choose Juventus but also Rabiot and Ramsey, who shuffled different offers. But what is the secret?

The truth is that Italy has become a tax haven for non-EU players and artists for image rights. A regulation created in 2017 and that has caused sounded arrivals like Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus or Milos Teodosic, in the case of basketball, to Bologna.

The regulation allows foreigners residing in Italy a limit of the annual payment for image rights amounting to 100,000 euros. That is, it does not matter what a player enters for advertising since a flat fee is paid. That is, for CR7 it is a symbolic amount, since it receives around 80 million per year, as for other stars that charge more for advertising than for their contract with the club.

A tremendous difference in Spain where, since 1995, there is a law that states that 85% of the income of artists and athletes must pay income tax, with a 47% marginal rate of maximum payment, while 15% can be processed from the Corporation Tax, whose hypothetical benefits are taxed at 28%. Translated: an athlete must declare up to 85% of what the club pays him in the IRPF and the remaining 15% of what he earns with his team can charge it through society as image rights.

Similar Posts: